ABOUT LEGENDS DANCE ACADEMY
Welcome to our Youth Dance Program! We offer a variety of classes for children ages 18 months – 14 years. Our classes are taught by experienced, highly qualified instructors who are dedicated to the art of dance. Classes are held in our beautiful fitness/dance studio with mirrors and ballet bars.
Our Fall and Winter programs each run 12 weeks with a winter and spring recital. Parent Tot Creative Movement classes run 6 weeks and do not participate in recitals. Our spring mini-session runs 6 weeks from May – June.
Click on the tabs below for Class Descriptions and Dance Policies.
Questions? Contact our Dance Coordinator, Angie Watts, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– This class is the perfect introduction to music and movement for the very young child, aged 18 months-3 years. Focus is on coordination and rhythm which are introduced in creative and imaginative ways using many props such as scarves, ribbons, shakers, and much more. Keeping students entertained while learning beginning dance skills will help them to acquire a lifelong love for dance. Parents participate in the Parent/Tot class only, the parent/tot class will not participate in the December recital. Required: Comfortable clothing. Dance Shoes, Tennis shoes, Socks or Barefoot – NO JEANS
– Classes include concepts that are found in an older child’s dance class. The goals are to foster creativity, freedom of expression in movement, and a love for dance, while building a strong foundation to prepare the students for the next level of dance. See descriptions below for required clothing and shoes. Parents must remain in the building during classes.
– Students will learn classical ballet techniques and terminology. Each class includes center floor work and across-the-floor combinations. Ballet provides grace, poise, and technique needed to be proficient in all other areas of dance. Required: pink ballet shoes, tights and leotard. – NO JEANS
– A high-energy dance style that uses the latest sounds in rap, R & B and pop music. The dancing represents body movements that go with the beat and rhythm of hip hop dancing. Students will break down steps and techniques and bring style and personality to the movement. Required: black jazz shoes or tennis shoes , comfortable or form fitting clothing ( tank Top, leggings/capri pants, etc) – NO JEANS
– Combines traditional, theatrical and contemporary jazz with the ever changing styles of today. Dancers learn basic technical skills including jazz walk, chaine turns, single pirouettes, jetes, kicks, and much more. Jazz builds dancers’ style and confidence while working on musicality and the ability to pick up choreography and connect steps and skills together with fun, upbeat music. Required: black jazz shoes, tight fitting clothing (tank top, leotard, capri yoga/dance pants, jazz pants, etc). – NO JEANS
Lyrical & Modern
– This class combines the passion of lyrical dance with the grounded technique of modern dance. We will focus on the connection to music and creativity, while gaining strength from a combination of modern technique styles, including Graham, Cunningham, and Limon. Students will be introduced to floor work and choreography exercises. Required: tan jazz shoes or half sole lyrical paws. Tight fitting clothing (tank top, leotard, capri yoga/dance pants, jazz pants, etc).
– Introduces dancers to the basics of proper jazz dance technique while including the sharp synchronized movements and visual effects of working with pom poms! Cheerleading arm movements and Jumps are incorporated.
– Tap classes are designed to develop rhythm, style and sound. Exercises focus on building flexibility of the knee and ankles, coordination, and speed of movement. The class emphasis is on developing proper tap technique, producing clear tap sounds, and having fun. Required: black tap shoes, tight fitting clothing (leotard, tank top, capri/yoga pants, etc.) – NO JEANS
1. Class Schedule – Days and times are subject to change depending on enrollment. You will be notified of any changes.
2. Class refunds – Refunds requested prior to the half-way point will be pro-rated. No refunds will be granted after the session is past the halfway point unless for medical reasons.
3. Parent Watch Days – Parents will be invited to watch the first class of each month beginning in the second month. Parents need to remain in the Legacy Facility during classes on non-parent watch days. Please note that parent watch days are very distracting so please help keep noises to a minimum.
4. Class Attire & Hair – Dancers need to have proper attire and shoes with hair pulled back. (NO JEANS) Please see class descriptions for required shoes and attire. Dancers need to bring a water to class each week. No Food or other drinks allowed in the studio.
5. Recital Attire/Accessory Fee – Fall and Winter Sessions only: There is a $15 recital accessory fee. A recital letter will be available with more details and information regarding attire, dates, and location.
Legacy Center Spring & Summer Dance 2019
Legacy’s six week dance session offers a variety of classes for ages 1-14 yrs. Dancers will learn technique, skills, and a short combination to perform for families at the last class. Dancers need to arrive in proper attire, shoes, hair pulled back and with a water bottle. Registration closes the second week of class. Class schedule may change due to enrollment numbers, please check the dance webpage for updated class information.
Please contact Dance Director, Angie Watts, at email@example.com with any questions.
May 7th – June 18th (No class on June 11th) Instructor: Angie Watts
5:00-5:40 Pre-Ballet & Tap ages 3-4 $60
5:45-6:25 Ballet & Tap I ages 5-7 $60
6:30-7:10 Baton Twirling (*$12 Baton Fee) ages 7-12 $60
May 8th- June 12th Instructor: Angie Watts
10:30-11:10 Parent Tot Creative Movement ages 1-3 $60
11:30-12:10 Pre-Ballet, Jazz, & Creative Movement ages 3-4 $60
12:30-1:10 Pre-Jazz, Pom & Creative Movement ages 4-5 $60
1:30-2:10 Homeschool Hip Hop, Jazz, & Pom ages 6-9 $60
May 9th- June 13th Instructor: Madeline Kreps
5:00-5:40 Pre-Ballet & Creative Movement ages 2.5-3.5 $60
5:45-6:25 Pre-Jazz, Pom & Creative Movement ages 4-6 $60
6:30-7:10 Hip Hop, Jazz & Pom I ages 6-9 $60
7:15-7:55 Hip Hop, Jazz & Pom II ages 10-14 $60
Summer Dance Camps
We are excited to be offering three summer dance camps for ages 6-12 yrs! Camps include a variety of dance styles: Jazz, Hip Hop, Lyrical, Pom & Baton. Please visit our camps webpage for full details and other camp offerings http://legacycentermichigan.com/camps-2/
Dance camps are offered the following weeks:
July 15th – July 18th
July 29th – August 1st
August 12th – August 15th
April 1, 2019
Our spring recital is quickly approaching. Please be sure to read the important details below. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the dance coordinator, Angie Watts, at firstname.lastname@example.org or if urgent please feel free to contact by cell phone at 734-262-3314. All fall classes end the week of April 26th.
We will hold a dress rehearsal on Thursday, May 2nd from 6:00-7:00 pm at Venture Church in Howell. Dancers should arrive in their costume attire with hair done. Make up is optional. Please refer to the Dance attire below for questions regarding hair, shoes, tights, etc or talk to your childs dance instructor if you have questions. Please see the rehearsal order below for approximate rehearsal times (group 1 needs to arrive by 5:45, group 2 needs to arrive by 6:15) Rehearsal will begin on time and we cannot wait for late arrivals! Please do not bring any food or drinks into the auditorium. Venture church has a strict policy, please do not leave behind trash or any items as this may prohibit us from renting in the future.
Group 1: Arrive by 5:45 pm (dancers need to be dressed and ready to perform by this time)
“Rainbow Connection” Thursday 11:30, Pre-Ballet & Creative Movement
“Here Comes the Sun” Tuesday 5:45, Ballet & Tap I
“Baby Beluga” Thursday 5:30, Pre-Ballet & Tap
“Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride” Thursday 1:30, Pre-Jazz & Ballet
“Best Summer Ever” Tuesday 6:30, Jazz & Hip Hop I/II
Group 2: Arrive by 6:15 pm (dancers need to be dressed and ready to perform by this time)
“Another Day of Sun” Thursday 6:15, Ballet & Tap I
“In Summer” Friday 12:30, Pre Ballet & Tap
“He Mele No Lilo” Tuesday 5:00, Pre-Ballet & Tap
“Rockin Robin” Thursday 12:30, Pre-Jazz & Tap
“Something in the Water” Thursday 7:00, Ballet & Tap II
Matt Lindeman will be taking group and individual photos. Photos are optional and are $20. They will be emailed to parents in 2-4 weeks after the recital. Please complete the photo form before or at rehearsal. Forms will be available the last week of class.
Our “Fun in the Sun” themed dance recital will be held on Friday, May 3rd at 6:00pm at Venture Church in Howell. Dancers need to arrive in full costume with hair done, by 5:30pm. Make-up is optional, a small amount is recommended (lipstick, blush, eye shadow). Auditorium doors will open at 5:30. The show should last approximately 45 minutes.
Upon arrival please take your dancer to our classroom waiting area. Dancers will remain backstage in the large waiting room during the entire show with our volunteers and dance instructors. After the grande finale dancers will return to the backstage area. Please send one parent to sign your child out. Please be sure your child eats before the show and uses the restroom before you check him/her in.
Volunteers are needed for our pre-level classes! We’re looking for 1 volunteer for each group (ages 5 & under), perfect for high school students, parents, grandparents. Volunteers will help dancers in the waiting room and walk classes to the stage. During their performance volunteers may enter the side theatre doors and sit in our reserved front row seats. Volunteers will also receive a free ticket for a family member! Please contact your childs teacher if you’re interested in volunteering!
There is no flash photography allowed during the recital. You may take photos and videos as long as it’s not disrupting to the dancers on stage or other audience members. Please do not bring any food or drinks into the auditorium. Venture church has a strict policy, please do not leave behind trash or any items as this may prohibit us from renting in the future. Turn your cell phones off or to silent during the show. Please remember to be respectful to all audience members and stay quiet during the performances.
Rehearsal & Recital Location:
8457 E Highland Rd, Howell, MI 48843
Costume Accessories & Hair/Headpiece
Tues. 5:00 Pre-Ballet
”He Mele No lilo”
hair in ponytail with flower in hair, white tights
Tues. 5:45 Ballet & Tap I
”Here Comes The Sun”
hair in bun, white tights, bow in hair
Tues. 6:30 Jazz & Hip Hop I/II
”Best Summer Ever”
black tank top (or leotard), black leggings, High ponytail with bow
Thurs. 11:30 Pre-Ballet
Hair in Bun, light pink tights, hairpiece on dancers right
Thurs. 12:30 Pre-Ballet & Tap
Hair in Bun, white tights
Thurs. 1:30 Pre-Jazz & Tap
”Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride”
Hair half up in ponytail with bow on top, white tights
Thurs. 5:30 Pre-Ballet & Tap
Hair in bun with blue flower on right side of bun, white or pink tights
Thurs. 6:15 Ballet & Tap I
”Another Day of Sun”
Hair in bun with yellow ribbon tied in bow around bun, yellow flower on right hip of tutu, tan tights
Thurs. 7:00 Ballet & Tap II
”Something in the Water”
Hair in bun with blue ribbon tied around bun, pink or white tights
Fri. 12:30 Pre-Ballet & Tap
white tights, hair in pony tail
Recital Tickets are $5 each and are on sale at the front desk of the Legacy Center beginning April 8th. (children under 5 are free) Tickets will also be sold at the recital, Cash or Check only at the door.